Against the advice of a Sonos sales rep, after explaining my goal for the Connect I decided to take the risk of some frustration and give it a try anyway.
I'm glad I did!
I have a Klipsch Soundbar SB-3 with Bluetooth wireless Subwoofer connected with Optical from my Sony Tv. Sound is great, sub is strong!
Gradually I've purchased a few Play:1 speakers, I have 3 now, one in my bathroom and 2 in the bedroom.
After looking at several reviews and doing research it seemed unlikely to be able to bring the Sonos speakers into my 2.1 home cinema experience to create 5.1, for obvious reasons, Sonos places it's products smartly and forces you to buy a Playbar and Sub.
Since I wasn't ready to put down 1.400 bucks for 2 products I already have, I looked into the Connect.
It literally took me 10 minutes to install and I have beautiful room filling sound from my soundbar+sub combined with the Play:1's.
With some tweaking of settings here and there, I also got the TV sound to play over all the speakers at once.
Now, I'm extremely allergic to any delay between TV image and sound, which is what I was most worried about, also delay between different speakers is something I wouldn't accept.
There is a verrrrry insignificant delay between the video and audio, so little that I can live with it.
There is none at all between the speakers.
Here's how everything is connected:
TV to Connect - Headphones out to RCA in
Connect to Klipsch - Optical
Klipsch SB to Sub: Bluetooth
Connect to Play:1: Wifi (none of my speakers is hardwired so all relies on the existing wifi network
I almost cannot believe that it works as good as it does since there's so much variables and different connections, but it sounds amazing!
- Of course, sincee the input from TV to Connect is analog and the Connect does not enrich the sound, I do not have 5.1 surround coming out of the speakers but just stereo.
However, the way the speakers are placed and the crystal clear sound still make for a thrilling experience in movies.
- When I'm streaming HD on the tv, there are some minor disruption in the sound from the Play:1's. Not a surprise considering what I'm asking the wifi to do all at once, so I'm afraid another investment is on the way - a Sonos Boost.
All in all, great product to connect non Sonos with Sonos speakers.
Also the steep price for a seemingly simple task, connecting, seems justified by the fact it is smart enough to synchronize the sound to the mili second while over compeltely different connections (wifi vs optical)
Brilliant and I'm $1.050,- richer :)
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 13.6 x 7.4 cm ; 680 g
- Boxed-product Weight: 1.2 Kg
- Batteries 1 Lithium Polymer batteries required.
- Item Model Number: ZonePlayer 90
- ASIN: B001CROHX6
- Date first available at Amazon.com.au: 23 March 2018
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: