- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: Rodale Press (3 August 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1635651913
- ISBN-13: 978-1635651911
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 2.4 x 26.1 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 1.1 Kg
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 13,631 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
+ $11.32 Delivery
Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.: Quick-Fix Recipes for Hangry Athletes Hardcover – 14 Aug 2018
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
For A Sauce That Sustains
Traditional bolognese is heavy on the beef and skimpy on the veggies. We prefer our sauce to be veg-loaded to maximize flavor and nutrition. The first time you make this sauce, try it with the enticing combo below, but once you’ve mastered sauce making, experiment by using any assortment of your favorite veggies.
We love our pasta as much as the next runner and like this sauce best on top of spaghetti. But if you’re following a gluten- free diet, it’s also delicious over brown rice or roasted spaghetti squash.
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and ½ teaspoon of the salt and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently while breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes (if using), and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add the bell peppers, mushrooms, and remaining ½ teaspoon of the salt (if your meat is lean, add another tablespoon of oil). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes. Stir in the spinach or kale (if using).
4. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
5. Serve over pasta, rice, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash and top with grated Parmesan (if using).
Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free: Skip the Parmesan.
Mix It Up: This sauce is also delicious with carrots, celery, and onions instead of the garlic, peppers, and mushrooms.
If you have a small amount of sauce left over, freeze it for home- made pizza night.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef or bison (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 heaping cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes*
- 4 cups baby spinach or chopped kale (optional)
- Parmesan (optional)
- *It’s worth paying a little extra for a high-quality brand of canned tomatoes to get a sweet result. If your sauce tastes too acidic, add a tea- spoon or two of sugar
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Another reviewer noted that there are many of the same recipes with substitutions - this is true, but if you are not a cook and just want a healthier way to eat (like me), and also enjoy recipes that you can cook from start to finish in under an hour, then you will really enjoy this book. I would never have experimented myself to see what I could substitute in the morning muffins, and they are awesome, so now I have three additional flavors to add to my rotation. There are also simple suggestions (cook a double portion of this and eat it for lunch all week), that I probably would not have thought to do.
The chocolate peanut butter cups are AMAZING!!! I'm currently training for my first full marathon, and I've had some horrible sweet cravings now that I'm hitting 18-20 mile long runs. These cups quench the craving while giving me a much healthier chocolate option. No more guilt for these cravings!! I attached a couple images so you can see.
P.S. The recipes are flexible, nutritious, time-saving and delicious!! :)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Kitchen Appliances > Slow Cookers
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Quick & Easy
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Whole Foods
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Home Improvement & Design > How-to & Home Improvements > Green Housecleaning
- Books > Health, Fitness & Nutrition > Diets & Weight Loss > Nutrition
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Athletics & Gymnastics > Running & Jogging
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Training & Coaching
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides