I loved the first in this series and enjoyed the second. But, for this, the third, I had to rely upon my obsessive need to complete books that I start in order to get through.
Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining in parts, but it:
- spent waaaaaay too long (for me at least) reciting scenes from the play, that I didn't feel added enough value to warrant such lengthy inclusion.
- invested too greatly in a romantic focus between Locke and Sabetha, yet simultaneously somehow didn't invest enough in it either.
In addition, the audible companion app had inconsistent voice-acting for characters, which also detracted from the overall experience.
Scott Lynch set my expectations pretty high with the first and kept me on the hook long enough to get to the third book, but this was disappointing enough for me to not bother with any more in the series as they are released.
- Paperback: 624 pages
- Publisher: Gollancz; 1 edition (29 July 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0575084464
- ISBN-13: 978-0575084469
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 4.3 x 19.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 540 g
- Average Customer Review: 6 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 11,075 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)