You virtually watch Tovani roll up her sleeves and engage students in demanding text. --Voices from the Middle
This easily read and practical book gives teaching examples and ideas for the regular classroom teacher as well as for the reading specialist. --Speaking of Reading
You will be taken step-by-step through practical, theory-based reading instruction that can be adapted for use in any subject area. A resource for any teacher or adult teaching students with comprehension difficulties, regardless of subject matter. 5 out of 5 stars. --Reading for Sanity blog
Enter Cris' classroom, a place where students are continually learning new strategies for tackling difficult text. You will be taken step-by-step through practical, theory-based reading instruction that can be adapted for use in any subject area. The book features:
- anecdotes in each chapter about real kids with real universal problems. You will identify with these adolescents and will see how these problems can be solved;
- a thoughtful explanation of current theories of comprehension instruction and how they might be adapted for use with adolescents;
- a What Works section in each of the last seven chapters that offers simple ideas you can immediately employ in your classroom. The suggestions can be used in a variety of content areas and grade levels(6-12);
- teaching tips and ideas that benefit struggling readers as well as proficient and advanced readers;
- appendixes with reproducible materials that you can use in your classroom, including coding sheets, double entry diaries, and comprehension constructors.
In a time when students need increasingly sophisticated reading skills, this book will provide support for teachers who want to incorporate comprehension instruction into their daily lesson plans without sacrificing content knowledge.