Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind Paperback – 30 January 2001
From the Back Cover
"One of the most important communication books I've ever read. I highly recommend it!"
--Spencer Johnson, author of Who Moved My Cheese? and co-author of The One Minute Manager
"...Ries and Trout taught me everything I know about branding, marketing, and product management. When I had the idea of creating a very large thematic community on the Web, I first thought of Positioning...."
--David Bohnett, Chairman and Founder of GeoCities
The first book to deal with the problems of communicating to a skeptical, media-blitzed public, Positioning describes a revolutionary approach to creating a "position" in a prospective customer's mind-one that reflects a company's own strengths and weaknesses as well as those of its competitors. Writing in their trademark witty, fast-paced style, advertising gurus Ries and Trout explain how to:
- Make and position an industry leader so that its name and message wheedles its way into the collective subconscious of your market-and stays there
- Position a follower so that it can occupy a niche not claimed by the leader
- Avoid letting a second product ride on the coattails of an established one.
Positioning also shows you how to:
- Use leading ad agency techniques to capture the biggest market share and become a household name
- Build your strategy around your competition's weaknesses
- Reposition a strong competitor and create a weak spot
- Use your present position to its best advantage
- Choose the best name for your product
- Determine when-and why-less is more
- Analyze recent trends that affect your positioning.
Ries and Trout provide many valuable case histories and penetrating analyses of some of the most phenomenal successes and failures in advertising history. Revised to reflect significant developments in the five years since its original publication, Positioning is required reading for anyone in business today.
About the Author
Jack Trout (Greenwich, CT) is Chairman of Trout & Partners. Authors of numerous best-sellers, Al Ries and Jack Trout are undoubtedly the world's best-known marketing strategists. Their books have been translated into 19 languages worldwide.
- Publisher : McGraw-Hill Education; 1st edition (30 January 2001)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 224 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0071373586
- ISBN-13 : 978-0071373586
- Dimensions : 13.72 x 1.52 x 20.32 cm
- Customer Reviews:
Review this product
Top review from Australia
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top reviews from other countries
A few years ago I came up with a brilliant idea for promoting my business which generated huge response and became a talking point within my field. I dropped the idea because I felt that it had run its course but I sort of regret doing so because in the context of positioning it was second to none. Fortunately, i have a couple more brilliant ideas up my sleeve which I'm working on and reading this book has certainly helped shaped my intuitive approach into something more tangible.
I enjoyed reading it but I find some parts of the theories too unscientific and the methodology hard to blindly accept. But - I def think about brands, naming, etc. more carefully now so I def recommend this book.