- Audio CD
- Publisher: Harperaudio; Unabridged edition (8 May 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062850849
- ISBN-13: 978-0062850843
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 3.8 x 14.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 249 g
- Average Customer Review: 19 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 213,764 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World Audio CD – Audiobook, CD, Unabridged
|New from||Used from|
Audio CD, Audiobook, CD, Unabridged
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
The revered New York Times bestselling author traces the development of technology from the Industrial Age to the Digital Age to explore the single component crucial to advancement—precision—in a superb history that is both an homage and a warning for our future.
The rise of manufacturing could not have happened without an attention to precision. At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution in eighteenth-century England, standards of measurement were established, giving way to the development of machine tools—machines that make machines.
Simon Winchester takes us back to origins of the Industrial Age, to England where he introduces the scientific minds that helped usher in modern production. Winchester moves forward through time, to today’s cutting-edge developments occurring around the world, from America to Western Europe to Asia.
About the Author
Simon Winchester is the acclaimed author of many books, including The Professor and the Madman, The Men Who United the States, The Map That Changed the World, The Man Who Loved China, A Crack in the Edge of the World, and Krakatoa, all of which were New York Times bestsellers and appeared on numerous best and notable lists. In 2006, Winchester was made an officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Her Majesty the Queen. He resides in western Massachusetts.
Showing 1-8 of 19 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Engineering & Transportation > Engineering > Reference > History
- Books > Engineering & Transportation > Engineering > Reference > Patents & Inventions
- Books > History > World > Civilization & Culture
- Books > Science, Nature & Maths > Experiments, Instruments & Measurement > Measurement
- Books > Science, Nature & Maths > Technology
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides