For anyone with a genuine interest in the path to awakening this is a most worthwhile collection. However Edward Conze's style of translating, which values literalness over readability, takes some getting used to. And make no mistake, the texts presented here are dense and deep, requiring careful reading and much contemplation.
I strongly recommend, as a first purchase, the wonderful 'A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras' edited by Garma C.C Chang. Here you will find a greater and more varied selection of sutras, which have been beautifully translated and make for more enjoyable reading. And indeed, all of the depth of the Prajnaparamita is here, yet the Ratnacuta sutras are more colourful, and easier to understand.
Then again, if you are earnest in your seeking of awakening, you'll want to read both books.
- Paperback: 284 pages
- Publisher: Buddhist Pub Group; Revised ed. edition (1 August 1993)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0946672288
- ISBN-13: 978-0946672288
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.6 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 386 g
- Customer Reviews: 5 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 574,654 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)