Volume II takes the base theory outlined in Volume I and goes into great detail on how Dr. McFetridge and his band of researchers have built up a model of consciousness that is firmly rooted in cell biology and also covers areas of spirituality/shamanism, trauma therapies, human and group behavior and allows for testing of this model available to anyone willing to undergo their training or work with one of their certified therapists.
I personally regard this as an outstanding contribution to those who work towards solving the "problem" of consciousness for the following reasons:
1. The model is scientifically grounded - they don't ask anyone to accept the word of a guru or Teacher. The model provides a trauma-based approach to human development that can be understood and then acted upon by anyone and allows for specific results to be expected. It provides an entire framework for both theory and application. This is the foundation for an entirely new paradigm of mental health and growth.
2. The model is able to cover not just "damaged" states of consciousness (i.e. the DSM or typical journal articles) but also allows for, and gives a method to achieve, "peak states" - exactly what one would expect from a scientifically grounded approach. You don't just get a discussion of how to work to overcome negativity, you are presented with a method to improve your operating system, to directly interact with your body and improve function.
3. It provides a large number of examples to illustrate the points made in the text.
4. It treats spiritual/shamanic states as the common human desires they are. This model allows for an explanation of the biological basis of many states of consciousness described by mystics throughout history.
The only drawbacks I see are the fact that it makes some radical claims that you have to, in the end, experience for yourself. But that is the problem with any model that claims to describe consciousness. I call it a drawback only because you have to actually DO and WORK to achieve results and this will cause professional skeptics to ignore this incredible contribution to the science of the mind.
This is an outstanding text. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has a desire to understand more the intersection between consciousness, growth, healing and human potential.
- Hardcover: 552 pages
- Publisher: Institute for the Study of Peak States Press; New edition (1 November 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0973468017
- ISBN-13: 978-0973468014
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 3.5 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 998 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item