Acclaimed for erudition and scholarly achievement, the author unfortunately forgets to get his overt intellectual preening out of the way and ruins what could have been a delight. It fails to deliver on the promise of exploring the old land and sea routes, and never quite captures the wonder and mystery of the dangerous business of stepping out your door. Most unfortunately, it replaces poetry with obscure language that fails to illuminate or ornament the text.
Spoils a good walk.
- Paperback: 448 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Press; 1 edition (11 July 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780141030586
- ISBN-13: 978-0141030586
- ASIN: 0141030585
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 2.8 x 19.7 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 358 g
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 47,557 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)