I'd preordered this because Dinosaur Empire was so colossally good. It took me a week to finally pry it away from my 3rd grader. "Oh no honey, don't read that science book cover to cover, Daddy really wants it back!" Sucker.
Anyway, this book is one of my favorite things: someone awesome is deeply interested in something I know nothing about. The drawings range from kooky to adorable to terrifying. My favorite part of this series continues to be how it layers in "this is how we know X" and "here's how our understanding has changed." All the challenging words have phonetic spellings, and all the challenging ideas have a respectful explanation. Speaking as a grown-up, I learned a lot and never felt talked down to.
If you're a human older than about 8, this book is for you. Whatever Abby wants to write about next, I want to learn about it.
- Hardcover: 128 pages
- Publisher: Abrams; 1 edition (14 August 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 141973136X
- ISBN-13: 978-1419731365
- Product Dimensions: 15.9 x 1.6 x 23.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 454 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 79,892 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)