I enjoyed reading the author's first book, the silk road, and followed up immediately with this book. Big mistake.
This book reads like a political commentary catered to readers with strong negative feelings toward the current US administration. The emphasis would be justified if brexit, Trump, and other similar events in the past few years turned out to be historical pivotal events, but we do not know, and this is a question best left to future generations of historians.
As a fan of his first book, I wished he did not write this book. There are plenty of books on China's ambitions, there are plenty of books arguing for and against the current US adminstration, and there are no shortage of books on the US China relationship. This book adds neither new material nor insights. Other than the catchy title, I don't recall learning anything from reading this book.
- Hardcover: 336 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (1 December 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1526607425
- ISBN-13: 978-1526607423
- Product Dimensions: 14.1 x 3.2 x 22.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 481 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 621 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)