To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness.
I like reading anthologies as they typically give me a chance to sample a bunch of new authors without spending a ton of money. I usually find at least one author I want to read more from, and I actually discovered several of my favorite authors this way. So I started reading Naughty Lovers with a sort of pleasant anticipation, not expecting to like everything I read, but hoping to discover a new author or two. With all new-to-me authors, Naughty Lovers is a mix of genres, from the kind of story I actively look for to stories outside my usual comfort zone. As it turns out, there's only one story I'd give less than four stars, and two I'd give more than 5 stars to if I could.
I've spent years reading mainstream fantasy and sci-fi, (Tolkien and George RR Martin, among many others), and the few fantasy/sci-fi romance stories I've read mostly haven't quite measured up, so it's a genre I've been avoiding. Which makes it ironic that my favorite stories from this anthology--stories that would have been worth buying the anthology for on their own--were the two fantasy/sci-fi stories in the mix. I would easily put either Bastard's Bonus by Terry Rissen or The Wyndraider's Conquest by Charlotte Boyett-Compo up against any of the best fantasy/sci-fi I've ever read.
With something for every taste, generally excellent writing and two stories I loved, I'm giving Naughty Lovers a 5 star rating. Individual story comments and ratings follow.
• The Ride of Her Life by Tina Donahue: Instalust. Funny and hot, a fast read. 5 stars
• Love in the Air by Suz deMello: Light BDSM. Zack introduces Jill to BDSM. I liked that it actually took a couple of months to develop a relationship. 4 stars
• Renaissance by Alexa Silver: Rockstar. I did notice a couple of editing errors, but not enough to detract from the story. Great characters in this story of a rockstar with a song writing block meeting an aspiring songwriter. Would have been my favorite except for the two fantasy and sci-fi stories. 5 stars
• Bastard's Bonus by Terry Rissen: M/M and fantasy. Sweet and moving, the author did a wonderful job creating an entire world in the space of a short story. A terrific story and one of my favorites. 5+ stars
• Cinderella Scandal by Nicole Austin: Stepbrother. Well-written and very hot, though I would have liked a little more story to go with the heat. 4 stars
• Swing Follies: Ockham Steam-Works Laboratory Chronicles 3 by Regina Kammer: Steam punk. Technically well-written, but while the formal writing style matches the genre, it's just not my personal taste, and the set-up (inventors of erotic machinery) felt a bit contrived to me. 3.5 stars
• Sappho's Sisters by Berengaria Brown: F/F and Regency. My first F/F story. Well-done, if not quite my taste. 4 stars
• Blast from the Past by Katherine Kingston: 2nd chance and BDSM. A nice story of two people learning how to be together again after a ten year separation. 4 stars
• The Wyndraider's Conquest by Charlotte Boyett-Compo: Sci-fi and shifter. Another great story. Terrific world-building, heat and lots of laughs as an alpha male meets his mate--and his match. 5+ stars
There are some awesome stories by some amazing writers!. The characters are unique, hot and fantastic!. " The ride of her life " by Tina Donahue- Tina Donahue's books are always naughty and scorching hot!. Like this story which is sweet, and scorching hot!. "Love is in the Air" by Suz deMello- This is a steamy light BDSM story. It is sweet, touching, and steamy hot. If you love romances that have some bondage and spanking you will love this one!. "Cinderella Scandal" by Nicole Austin- is an incredible Bad Boy stepbrother romance. It is a hot steamy forbidden romance. " Swing-Follies Ockham steam-works Laboratory Chronicles 3" by Regina Krammer- An amazing Romantic Historical menage romance. Its stunning, sweet, and steamy hot. " Blast from the past" by Katherine Kingston- This is a second chance love story. It is steamy hot, kinky, and sweet. It is an incredible D/s romance!. The WyndRaider's Conquest " by Charlotte Boyett-Comp- This is an amazing SciFi Shifter Romance!. The characters are unique and amazing. As you can see this is ASN incredible and hot collection you will love it!.