- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc, USA; 3 edition (22 January 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1491985046
- ISBN-13: 978-1491985045
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 2.5 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 689 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 44,517 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
Mining the Social Web, 3e Paperback – 30 Jun 2018
|New from||Used from|
Amazon Global Store
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
About the Author
Matthew Russell (@ptwobrussell) is Chief Technology Officer at Built Technologies, where he leads a team of leaders on a mission to improve the way the world is built. Outside of work, he contemplates ultimate reality, practices rugged individualism, and trains for the possibilities of a zombie or robot apocalypse.
Mikhail Klassen is Chief Data Scientist at Paladin AI, a startup creating adaptive training technologies. He has a PhD in computational astrophysics from McMaster University and a BS in applied physics from Columbia University. Mikhail is passionate about artificial intelligence and how the tools of data science can be used for good. When not working at a startup, he's usually reading or traveling.
From the Publisher
From the Preface
Some of the most basic assumptions this book makes about you as a reader are that you want to learn how to mine data from popular social web properties, avoid technology hassles when running sample code, and have lots of fun along the way. Although you could read this book solely for the purpose of learning what is possible, you should know up front that it has been written in such a way that you really could follow along with the many exercises and become a data miner once you’ve completed the few simple steps to set up a development environment. If you’ve done some programming before, you should find that it’s relatively painless to get up and running with the code examples. Even if you’ve never programmed before, if you consider yourself the least bit tech-savvy I daresay that you could use this book as a starting point to a remarkable journey that will stretch your mind in ways that you probably haven’t even imagined yet.
This book will teach you a few things that you’ll be thankful to learn and will add a few indispensable tools to your toolbox, but perhaps even more importantly, it will tell you a story and entertain you along the way. It’s a story about data science involving social websites, the data that’s tucked away inside of them, and some of the intriguing possibilities of what you could do with this data.
Technology changes fast, and social media platforms along with it. When we began revising the second edition, it became clear that the book would benefit from an update to reflect all the changes that were taking place. The first and most obvious change was to update the code from Python 2.7 to a more recent version of Python 3.0+.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Purchasers should know that there is also an option to purchase directly from the publisher that includes updates to the text of book (and if use their DropBox or Google drive sync, they update automatically). That is not currently the case with a Kindle version.
Overall, if you are interested in getting started with data mining social media, this is a great tutorial.
Understanding the consumer allows for your business to flourish. Data is becoming more and more valuable, big corporations see the need for data for them to survive in the digital age, it is only fair for you to understand the process. I recommend this reading to everyone due to how vital all of this information is.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Internet > Databases & Big Data > Data Mining
- Books > Computers & Internet > Internet & Social Media > Social Media
- Books > Computers & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Internet > Programming Languages > Python
- Books > Computers & Internet > Web Development & Design > Website Analytics
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Computer Science > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Computer Science > Programming Languages
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Computer Science > Software Design & Engineering