I have not read this Steinbeck for years. It is such a powerful short novel that I will want to read it again soon. The friendship between two men in California in the depression era leads to some very difficult dilemmas for the man with the stronger personality. He cares for his friend who is intellectually slow. They share a dream to own their own farm. Reality gets in the way! The different personalities of all the cast are beautifully written in the minimum words. The only female in the tale is so sensitively written that even as she causes problems for all the men, I felt sympathy for her.
Steinbeck's talent to create a whole world in a few short sentences has been a source of pleasure to me over my reading history. I think I first read him in the mid 1960s and have reread most of hid books since. I don't know why I hadn't read Of Mice and Men more often.
- Hardcover: 128 pages
- Publisher: Pearson Education Limited; 2 ed edition (25 June 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0582827647
- ISBN-13: 978-0582827646
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 1.1 x 20.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 222 g
- Average Customer Review: 12 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 115,100 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)