The story line had great promise but was poorly executed. All the previously dead characters were resurrected with extremely implausible back stories and the reactions to these resurrections as well as the explanations thereof, are nothing short of astounding:
1. Why would a loving mother fail to contact her grownup son for over 2 decades, despite longing to meet him?
2. How can a daughter raised under the impression her mother is dead, "dissolve into peals of laughter" when finding out her father lied for over 20 years, took her away from her well to do mother, twin sister and extended family and brought her up in deprivation while precariously wandering around the country gambling for a living? How can she maintain her good humor, once it's explained that it was all due to a "silly" fight, and her father's wounded ego, which he soothed with random women met along the way over 2 decades?
3. How could a woman whose husband abandoned her and took one of her daughters away for 20 years, out of sheer ego, be waiting anxiously for and take her idiot spouse back after 2 decades, no questions asked?
4. How could a daughter deprived of her twin and her father for her entire life, feel no resentment towards said father, and eagerly go live with him, after his prodigal return from a wounded ego trip that lasted 20 years?
Utterly unbelievable plot elements ruin what had the potential to be a great novel. Very unlike MJP, who is usually extremely skilled at weaving her tales. What went wrong?
- MP3 CD
- Publisher: Blackstone on Brilliance Audio (4 September 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1721308873
- ISBN-13: 978-1721308873
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 1.3 x 17.1 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 236 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item