- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers; TV tie-in edition edition (23 March 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0008139490
- ISBN-13: 978-0008139490
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 2.5 x 19.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 281 g
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 54,151 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
+ $3.00 delivery
+ FREE Delivery
The Lords of the North Paperback – 2 May 2017
|New from||Used from|
|Paperback, 2 May 2017||
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Praise for The Lords of the North:
‘Beautifully crafted story-telling, complete with splendid set-piece battles and relentless derring-do, so gripping that it rarely stops to catch a breath. It demonstrates once again Cornwell’s enormous skill as a historical narrator. He would have graced Alfred’s court entertaining the guests with his stories’ Daily Mail
‘Cornwell takes the spectres of ninth century history and puts flesh back on their bones. Here is Alfred's world restored – impeccably researched and illuminated with the colour and passion of a master storyteller.’
Justin Pollard, author of ‘Alfred the Great’
Praise for Bernard Cornwell:
'Bernard Cornwell is a literary miracle. Year after year, hail, rain, snow, war and political upheavals fail to prevent him from producing the most entertaining and readable historical novels of his generation' Daily Mail
'Cornwell's narration is quite masterly and supremely well-researched' Observer
About the Author
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This is book three in the series, and we've got Uhtred, with the loyal Hild, in Northumbria, all ready to take vengeance for the wrongs that were done to him in book one, and seeking his missing sister. But, not surprisingly, many an adventure will occur first - new wrongs, an unforeseen betrayal that takes him far away from his goal, new loyalties, and always new battles.
I love the well-articulated stress between Christianity and traditional Danish beliefs that permeates the series. Cornwell also does an excellent job of bringing up the violence and ignorance endemic of the times. You get an exceptional contemporary history lesson as well as a well-written story that's difficult to put down.
Well, this third installment entailed how Uthred defiantly disobeyed Alfred’s edict and the consequences he would deal for his action. Like a petulant child, he travelled to North to regain his entitlement as the rightful King of Bebanburg, but of course, The Three Fates had already weaved his fate in a path that he would always be tangled in inexorable mishaps between the Danes and Christianity. A very tough road to tread on, but his hardships defined him as a great warrior.
Love love this series, I can't get enough. Ulthred and Ragnar are my heroes. I was totally glued to the book from Ulthreds enslavement to the all the battles in the end. I even got emotional at the end when Ragnar got his revenge and reunited with his sister. Just Wow! What a powerful moment. I loved all the Viking bantering and was mind blown with the actions of the Christian Monks, sorry to say it but I was happy that two of them got what they deserved - death. I believe this book really depicts how Christianity was really like when it began to spread or should I say how it was forced upon everyone. Yeah, it turned my stomach at their ignorance.
I highly recommend this book and I have become a big fan of this Author. I can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Men's Adventure
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Military
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > European > British & Irish > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Military
- Books > Religion & Spirituality