I get it - I get the whole premise for the book, and appreciate what the author was trying to get at. The losses and laughs of getting older and being gay. But I didn't find much to laugh at.
It's a Pullitzer prize-winning book, and a review in the Washington Post said: "what makes this year’s winner so unusual is that his novel is funny. Very funny. Laugh-till-you-can’t-breathe funny." I don't think I even smiled during my reading of it.
It was dull and tedious to get through, and simply depressing. I reached the end and thought, "well, there's 5 hours of my life I won't get back". Obviously I missed the point and this kind of literature is above me!
- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group; 1 edition (22 May 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0349143595
- ISBN-13: 978-0349143590
- Product Dimensions: 12.6 x 2.4 x 19.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 240 g
- Average Customer Review: 37 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,972 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)