Do you want to learn geocoding from scratch, step-by-step, using QGIS 3?
With over 5000 students enrolled in my three “GIS for Beginners” QGIS tutorials on Udemy, I have decided to publish my fourth QGIS tutorial as a Kindle Book. This step-by-step follow-along QGIS tutorial includes a free coupon to access the 1 1/2 hours of accompanying follow-along videos on the Udemy teaching platform.
Step-by-step follow-along guide. 1 ½ hours of video. Screen captures. Examples.
The Book gives complete instructions for cleaning address datasets, and then geocoding them to google maps, street line maps and address point maps. It's a hands-on guide accompanied by a small practice dataset, and follow along videos.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN MY STEP-BY-STEP FOLLOW-ALONG QGIS TUTORIAL
- Theory: What is geocoding (convert address to lat long).
- Prepare your data: How to prepare your data for geocoding. How to improve your geocoding hit rate.
- Three geocoding techniques: How to geocode address data using the google maps geocoder, street line geocoder and address point geocoder in Quantum GIS 3.
- Traps with google maps: Coordinate traps with the google maps geocoder.
- Beginners who want to a complete QGIS tutorial that’s focused on geocoding.
- Professors, lecturers & tutors who are looking for a geocoding text that’s accompanied by instructional videos.
WHATS INSIDE THE BOOK?
Part 1: Geocoding Fundamentals and Concepts. Housekeeping.
- What is a geocode and why is it important.
- How to improve your geocoding hit rate.
- Mental maps and why they’re important to geocoding.
- Setting up for the QGIS tutorial.
- Other helpful (and free) software.
- How to download and extract the course dataset.
- HOW TO ENROLL IN THE ACCOMPANYING VIDEO COURSE ON UDEMY.COM FOR FREE.
Part 2: How to format addresses for geocoding.
- CSV files explained
- Formatting addresses using a Spreadsheet
- Formatting addresses using SQL in QGIS
Part 3: Geocoding in QGIS 3 using the MMQGIS plugin.
- Merging your geocoding iterations into a single GIS map.
- Intellectual property considerations.
- Geocoding to google maps
- Geocoding to street line maps
- Geocoding to address point maps
Q: Does this book include everything I need to become a geocoding expert?
A: Unfortunately, no. This book is designed for students taking their first steps in geocoding. Many of the concepts I teach are generic to geocoding in all GISs.
As this is a new book (Nov 2018) there are no reviews yet. However, here's what some of my 5000+ Udemy students have to say about my other courses.
"Ian is vast and knowledgeable in what he teaches. I would do another course by Ian if he offered it" - Umar Y
"Really great introductory-level course! The examples were simple to follow, but also very useful. All the work can be finished while watching the videos, there was no extra work to be done without guidance. I really look forward to the next course by this instructor. - Cheers and well done! - Nathan L
"Excellent quality course. Well organized, easy to follow along, clear exercises. I learned a lot!" - Robin A
***** MONEY BACK GUARANTEE BY AMAZON *