As someone who has, for over a decade, helped company leadership identify and live their respective "organizational" purpose, Nick Craig has written - what I believe to be - the definitive book on "personal" purpose ... and how it is most likely a (the?) key missing link to optimizing overall, collective performance, not to mention all-important happiness.
Having mentored and coached a Who's Who of iconic leaders, Nick's experience is unparalleled in this purpose-driven arena, and it shines through mightily in his new book. Some of what I found particularly profound and highly beneficial:
- "When we shift our sense of identify from our expertise to our purpose, we find solid ground to lead from." (that one has been HUGE for me)
- "When you multiply the impact you have seen in this book by everyone in the organization, you start to get a sense of what is possible when you unleash purpose."
- "Purpose is the only force I know of that honors where we have come from and, at the same time, calls us to step into a bigger set of shoes in our life." (Wow)
- "The impact of purpose is that it not only gives us an identity that is finally ours, it also allows us to honor others in a way they too can operate more from THEIR purpose."
- "It is as if someone switched on the lights." (regarding leaders discovering personal purpose)
The plethora of interesting stories drive home the author's points, and one can't help but to also feel the "cause" that's being presented here. While the entire ecosystem is laid out before us - including the How and Why of personal purpose - it never feels like a mundane exercise. To the contrary, the entire book is exhilarating!
While many would agree that a higher calling can be powerful in so many ways, I can't help but think how many leaders - like myself - could benefit from doing more of the "personal purpose" hard work/heavy lifting necessary to become more of who their followers need them to be. I cannot recommend this book more ardently, especially now that I'm standing more on "solid ground" than ever before.
Kudos, Nick, on a job beyond well done!
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Nicholas Brealey Publishing; 1 edition (28 August 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781473693265
- ISBN-13: 978-1473693265
- ASIN: 1473693268
- Product Dimensions: 15.8 x 2.4 x 23.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 422 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 158,489 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)