"This is a surprisingly engaging book for what can be a dry subject. This is achieved in no small part by the use of quotes ranging from Nobel winning chemists to Han Solo and the real world examples at the start of each chapter. This gives food for thought and grounds the theory giving it much needed context. This is vital for students who may not have encountered anything but a standard cookbook experiment before. The RAMP system (recognise hazards, assess risks, minimise risks, prepare for emergencies) takes centre stage throughout giving a useful aide-memoire underpinning the diverse range of safety topics. No hazard that may be encountered in the lab is neglected. The book includes informative chapters on biological and radiation safety that broaden its appeal to all scientists as well as all aspects of chemistry. The chemistry content in this book is by no means trivial; sidebars explore kinetics, thermodynamics and advanced organic chemistry. The detail and the contextual information require the application of chemical knowledge rather than simple lists of rules and regulations. This combined with the many questions provided would make it an ideal companion to most lab based courses. Indeed the information is broad enough and detailed enough for this to be a useful reference for professional practitioners of chemical safety. (Education in Chemistry, Jan 10th 2017) https://eic.rsc.org/review/laboratory-safety-for-chemistry-students-2nd-ed/2500228.article.
Provides knowledge and models of good practice needed by students to work safely in the laboratory as they progress through four years of undergraduate laboratory work
- Aligns with the revised safety instruction requirements from the ACS Committee on Professional Training 2015 “Guidelines and Evaluation Procedures for Bachelor’s Degree Programs”
- Provides a systematic approach to incorporating safety and health into the chemistry curriculum
- Topics are divided into layers of progressively more advanced and appropriate safety issues so that some topics are covered 2-3 times, at increasing levels of depth
- Develops a strong safety ethic by continuous reinforcement of safety; to recognize, assess, and manage laboratory hazards; and to plan for response to laboratory emergencies
- Covers a thorough exposure to chemical health and safety so that students will have the proper education and training when they enter the workforce or graduate school