I bought this book on the strength of Lucy's other books, which I love, but this was a huge miss for me. Scotty was a great character but Roman was left short. Normally Lucy's characters are so well developed, you have to remind yourself they are not real, but not this time.
Romans anxiety was just not full of the pathos Lucy usually evokes. I found Polly to be shallow, selfish and the relationship with Roman was never fully explained or developed, so I didn't feel anything other than the urge to slap her. The other incidental characters and their antics felt thrown in just to make up random situations meant to be funny, but I found to be trite and annoying.
I did not enjoy this book. It made me frustrated and I just wanted to finish it so it would be over. Not Lucy's best.
- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 9 hours and 22 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Lucy Lennox, Molly Maddox
- Audible.com.au Release Date: 17 April 2019
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English, English
- ASIN: B07QQVML6G
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 6,590 in Audible (See Top 100 in Audible)