This novel written by Daphne DuMaurier was written in the 1940s. It is based on some historical events set in the 1640s. Runs approximately 360 pages.
The main character, Honor, is set to be engaged to the tempestuous Richard when she is paralyzed from the waist down. She still finds herself a part of his life and that of his family throughout the English Civil War.
Most of the novel takes place at Menabilly, a real life house important to the author. A certain hidden passage plays a prominent role in the action and was the inspiration for the entire novel.
Other characters come and go and leave their mark. Such as the devious and scheming Gartred. This book is much in the vein of gothic literature.
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: Virago; 1 edition (21 June 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1844080897
- ISBN-13: 978-1844080892
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 2.6 x 19.7 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 322 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 340,603 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)