I was really looking forward to reading this, keen for an adventure. Sadly, it wasn’t an adventure for me. The narrative didn’t draw me in and a number of the main characters annoyed me.
Key thinks to bear in mind when reading this, as they may really peeve you off:
1) This was written at a particular time and so is a reflection of horrible/problematic imperialistic Western/British attitudes towards those situated as Other. Although the imperialistic/colonial undertones are not as severe as some other books I’ve read from the era.
2) Even when there is an acknowledgement of the nobleness of those indigenous to Africa there is still a level of looking down on them.
3) Hunting animals for nothing but amusement is discussed and occurs (highly normalised in the book again a consequence of when it was written and by whom).
Since I started reading as a child I can say that this is only the second time in my life where I prefer the movie versions I've seen over the book.
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Penguin; 1 edition (31 January 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0141439521
- ISBN-13: 978-0141439525
- Product Dimensions: 13 x 1.8 x 19.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 227 g
- Customer Reviews: 43 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 59,119 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)