I can't say enough about this book. It has completely changed my life. I'd been stuck in a dieting circle since I was 9 years old, and this book finally presented a way out.
After losing a lot of weight (about 100 pounds) after years of Weight Watchers and strict calorie/marconutrient counting, I'd completely lost touch with my body's hunger and fullness cues, nutritional needs and any food intuition whatsoever. I ended up developing an eating disorder. I tried other books to help me get out of the diet rat race and get my life back, but this was the only one that seemed to make sense.
Before reading this book, I was binge eating and purging anywhere from twice a week to 5-7 times per day. I binged and purged so much that my chest and throat hurt almost all the time. My teeth hurt. I had terrible acid reflux. I was going out of my way to binge eat, spending about $20 per binge at all hours of the day and night. I also exercised so much that I developed chronic tendonitis and stress fractures in both shins, requiring expensive doctor's office visits and 8 weeks of physical therapy, twice a week for 90 minutes at a time. My entire life was ruled by my eating disorder.
Now, after reading this book and going to about a year of therapy, I feel like I'm starting to get my life back. I eat whatever I want, when I want. I know that sounds crazy and people often interpret that as me saying "I eat pizza and ice cream all day." But, when you listen to your body and turn off the food police, it's amazing what your body tells you. Of course no one wants to only eat pizza and ice cream. You'd feel awful.
As it turns out, about 80% of the time I want foods that make my BODY feel good (tons of fruit, veggies, some dairy - I'm vegetarian). The other 20% of the time, I want things that make my SOUL feel good (dark chocolate, baked goods, chips, pizza, ice cream). I eat those whenever I want and feel zero guilt or zero pressure to consume as much as I can, because I know I can have these foods whenever I want them.
The best part? I was terrified of how much weight I'd gain on Intuitive Eating, but I am only about 10 pounds heavier now than when I was restricting heavily, dieting, weighing every scrap of food I ate and exercising myself to the point of injury. I eat what I want, enjoy life, don't count any calories and it's only a 10 pound difference from when I was so hungry that I'd drink Nyquil just to be able to sleep through the hunger cues at night.
IMPORTANT: The book alone was not enough to guide me into recovery (and the authors say as much) so I also saw two therapists once a week for about a year. This is crucial. If you have an eating disorder, this book will not be enough. You need to talk to a professional. I was embarrassed to admit I needed help, but it was worth it!
- Paperback: 304 pages
- Publisher: Griffin; New, Revised, Subsequent edition (11 September 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0312321236
- ISBN-13: 978-0312321239
- Product Dimensions: 15.7 x 2.2 x 23.4 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 340 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item