- Buy this item and get 90 days Free Amazon Music Unlimited. After purchase you will receive an email with further information. Offer valid for a limited time only. Terms and Conditions apply.” Learn more here.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
+ FREE Delivery
+ FREE Delivery
The Home Blacksmith: Tools, Techniques, and 40 Practical Projects for the Home Blacksmith (Fox Chapel Publishing) Beginner's Guide; Step-by-Step ... Projects for the Blacksmith Hobbyist Paperback – 9 June 2020
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
- Publisher : Fox Chapel Publishing (9 June 2020)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 224 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1497101263
- ISBN-13 : 978-1497101265
- Dimensions : 17.15 x 1.91 x 22.23 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 56,298 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
From the Back Cover
THE HOME BLACKSMITH
Blacksmithing is among the time-honored trades that are enjoying a resurgence as more and more people join the "do-it-yourself" revolution and explore traditional crafting for both practical and artistic reasons. Author Ryan Ridgway, a veterinarian and seasoned blacksmith with more than 15 years under his belt, fills in gaps left by other blacksmithing manuals as he traces the history of the craft, discusses how blacksmithing tools and techniques evolved differently around the world, and provides readers with a foundation in the science of metalworking. He then presents 40 projects, accompanied by detailed step-by-step instructions and brilliant color photographs from his own blacksmith shop, featuring useful and decorative items for the home, yard, and farm. A glossary of terms used throughout the book acquaints readers with blacksmithing lingo.
INSIDE THE HOME BLACKSMITH:
- A look at blacksmithing through the ages and a discussion on how metal moves
- Essential considerations, equipment, and tools for setting up your own blacksmithing shop
- The different types of steel and how to handle them
- Blacksmithing techniques from beginner to advanced
- Instructions for 40 projects, including tools, such as chisels and punches; decorative items for the home, such as drawer pulls and candle holders; and farm implements, such as gate latches and hoof picks.
About the Author
Ryan Ridgway, DVM, grew up on a family farm about an hour south of Regina, Saskatchewan, where he started blacksmithing to make repairs around the farm. During his university years in Saskatoon, he began selling his ironwork online and at local craft fairs to help pay for his degree. During this time, he also took a blacksmithing course offered by his local museum and began volunteering there, which gave him the opportunity to learn from the other blacksmiths and, in turn, teach other new smiths. After receiving his veterinary degree, he began writing blacksmithing articles and has been published in magazines such as Hobby Farms, Carving Magazine, Canadian Cowboy Country Magazine, and Rural Roots. He also writes veterinary articles for various magazines and has a pet-care column in numerous community newspapers in western Canada.
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
He really likes it, is building a forge and is preparing using this book