- Hardcover: 304 pages
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Inc (24 March 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062273205
- ISBN-13: 978-0547265452
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.6 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 454 g
- Average Customer Review: 11 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 4,007 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers Hardcover – 24 Mar 2014
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"There is more than enough substance in Mr. Horowitz's impressive tome to turn it into a leadership classic."--The Economist
"More than any other business book released this year, "Hard Things" gives an insider's perspective on what it's like to lead and scale a startup."----Business Insider's Best Business Books of 2014
"This is easily one of the essential books every business leader should read if they're looking for proven and honest management advice."----Entrepreneur's 25 Amazing Business Books from 2014
From the Back Cover
A lot of people talk about how great it is to start a business, but only Ben Horowitz is brutally honest about how hard it is to run one.
In The Hard Thing About Hard Things, Ben Horowitz, cofounder of Andreessen Horowitz and one of Silicon Valley's most respected and experienced entrepreneurs, draws on his own story of founding, running, selling, buying, managing, and investing in technology companies to offer essential advice and practical wisdom for navigating the toughest problems business schools don't cover. His blog has garnered a devoted following of millions of readers who have come to rely on him to help them run their businesses. A lifelong rap fan, Horowitz amplifies business lessons with lyrics from his favorite songs and tells it straight about everything from firing friends to poaching competitors, from cultivating and sustaining a CEO mentality to knowing the right time to cash in.
His advice is grounded in anecdotes from his own hard-earned rise—from cofounding the early cloud service provider Loudcloud to building the phenomenally successful Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm, both with fellow tech superstar Marc Andreessen (inventor of Mosaic, the Internet's first popular Web browser). This is no polished victory lap; he analyzes issues with no easy answers through his trials, including
- demoting (or firing) a loyal friend;
- whether you should incorporate titles and promotions, and how to handle them;
- if it's OK to hire people from your friend's company;
- how to manage your own psychology, while the whole company is relying on you;
- what to do when smart people are bad employees;
- why Andreessen Horowitz prefers founder CEOs, and how to become one;
- whether you should sell your company, and how to do it.
Filled with Horowitz's trademark humor and straight talk, and drawing from his personal and often humbling experiences, The Hard Thing About Hard Things is invaluable for veteran entrepreneurs as well as those aspiring to their own new ventures.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Showing 1-8 of 11 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Thanks Ben, this is now a reference, for the journey ahead.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Decision-Making & Problem Solving
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Economics > Skills > Decision Making
- Books > Business & Economics > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Business & Economics > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > New Business Enterprises
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides