I loved this book and the fact that he has applied emperical evidence together with somewhat serendipitous predicting makes it a classic in my eyes.
It's phenomenal that Homo Sapiens has been around circa 500,000 years and only 10,000 of those years have been in a "settled" environment. So for 98% (490,000 years) of that time we were Hunter-gatherers who respected the Earth and only took what we needed. In the last 400 years we have plundered the planet where greedy Shareholders of Public Companies took more than their share of the Earth and are destroying it at the expense of the Stakeholders. Jared Diamond points this out in his comparison of the have and have nots. Brilliant!
- Hardcover: 528 pages
- Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company; Revised ed. edition (6 December 2005)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0393317552
- ISBN-13: 978-0393061314
- ASIN: 0393061310
- Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 4.1 x 24.4 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 907 g
- Average Customer Review: 7 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 4,443 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)