In 24 years of teaching English in Barcelona, I have a heard and read a great number of mistakes. The purpose of this compilation is to present them in a way that will make an impact on the reader, who will then learn to avoid them. Clearly, mistakes must be identified and corrected.
This book is written in English, but it does not require a high language level to be understood. It is intended for a general public. Technical terminology has been kept to a minimum (though standard phonetic symbols are used to show pronunciation) and the style is light and humorous, with anecdotes that are a true reflection of mistakes that are made by Spanish-speakers.
There are two pages of the typical mistakes made by Catalan-speakers.
An easy-to-read and user-friendly book … grammar receives careful attention … may benefit both intermediate and advanced students of English … Teachers of English may also find it useful.
TESOL Spain Newsletter
While [this book] is clearly aimed at the Spanish-speaking learner of English it is also valuable for the teacher of English working in a Spanish-speaking environment … [it highlights] many of the false friends which exist … Translations show the learner what words do, and, equally importantly, do not mean … with a wealth of real-life examples which are sometimes humorous, the book is very readable … There is certainly a gap in the market for such a book … of all the many English language books I have on my bookshelf, this is the only one that has a long waiting list of Spanish-speaking friends wanting to borrow it.
Modern English Teacher
This Kindle edition has been prepared using Kindle Text Book Creator.
* Amazon describe it as a replica or facsimile edition, but it is in fact a completely separate presentation of the text, optimised for electronic viewing.
* The requirements for preparation, maintaining the format and phonetic symbols, mean that it is prepared from a pdf file and is displayed page by page. It cannot be viewed on Kindle e-ink devices such as Paperwhite.
* It can be viewed on Kindle Fire, Android and Apple devices.
* The book contains hyperlinks for cross references. These do not function on Apple devices. This is apparently Amazon’s decision. It has nothing to do with Lavengro Books or, it seems, with Amazon.
* Lavengro Books is an honest and transparent publisher. We wish to have these technical limitations made clear to potential purchasers. However, the availability and functionality of Kindle editions on different devices is entirely a matter for Amazon. Lavengro Books has no liability for the accuracy of this information, which is provided for information purposes only.
About the Author
I enjoy explaining the English language to people who want to learn it and am pleased to reach a wider audience through my books.