A complete, start-to-finish guide to Google Analytics instrumentation and reporting
Google Analytics Breakthrough is a much-needed comprehensive resource for the world's most widely adopted analytics tool. Designed to provide a complete, best-practices foundation in measurement strategy, implementation, reporting, and optimization, this book systematically demystifies the broad range of Google Analytics features and configurations. Throughout the end-to-end learning experience, you'll sharpen your core competencies, discover hidden functionality, learn to avoid common pitfalls, and develop next-generation tracking and analysis strategies so you can understand what is helping or hindering your digital performance and begin driving more success.
Google Analytics Breakthrough offers practical instruction and expert perspectives on the full range of implementation and reporting skills:
- Learn how to campaign-tag inbound links to uncover the email, social, PPC, and banner/remarketing traffic hiding as other traffic sources and to confidently measure the ROI of each marketing channel
- Add event tracking to capture the many important user interactions that Google Analytics does not record by default, such as video plays, PDF downloads, scrolling, and AJAX updates
- Master Google Tag Manager for greater flexibility and process control in implementation
- Set up goals and Enhanced Ecommerce tracking to measure performance against organizational KPIs and configure conversion funnels to isolate drop-off
- Create audience segments that map to your audience constituencies, amplify trends, and help identify optimization opportunities
- Populate custom dimensions that reflect your organization, your content, and your visitors so Google Analytics can speak your language
- Gain a more complete view of customer behavior with mobile app and cross-device tracking
- Incorporate related tools and techniques: third-party data visualization, CRM integration for long-term value and lead qualification, marketing automation, phone conversion tracking, usability, and A/B testing
- Improve data storytelling and foster analytics adoption in the enterprise
Millions of organizations have installed Google Analytics, including an estimated 67 percent of Fortune 500 companies, but deficiencies plague most implementations, and inadequate reporting practices continue to hinder meaningful analysis. By following the strategies and techniques in Google Analytics Breakthrough, you can address the gaps in your own still set, transcend the common limitations, and begin using Google Analytics for real competitive advantage.
Critical contributions from industry luminaries such as Brian Clifton, Tim Ash, Bryan and Jeffrey Eisenberg, and Jim Sterne – and a foreword by Avinash Kaushik – enhance the learning experience and empower you to drive consistent, real-world improvement through analytics.
From the Inside Flap
Millions of organizations have installed Google Analytics (GA), but a disappointingly small percentage are using GA to gain real understanding, improve user experience, and drive digital ROI. Google Analytics Breakthrough is a single-source, step-by-step guide for building confidence in the fundamentals and the advanced techniques that you need to derive the greatest insight and actionability from this powerful platform.
With critical contributions from leading analytics experts?including Brian Clifton, Tim Ash, Bryan and Jeffrey Eisenberg, and Jim Sterne?this unique resource distills everything you need to understand your traffic sources, comprehensively measure user behavior, and begin driving long-term digital marketing ROI. As you gain a complete, best-practices foundation in measurement strategy, implementation, reporting, and optimization, Google Analytics Breakthrough will enable you to understand your successes and identify improvement opportunities.
- Initiate and successfully drive analytics adoption throughout your enterprise
- Assess the long-term value of your traffic channels
- Determine which content is generating your best customer engagements
- Learn about BigQuery and Tableau for data integration and visualization
- Incorporate A/B and usability testing into your optimization program
During the course of this in-depth, end-to-end learning experience, you'll sharpen your core competencies, discover hidden functionality, learn to avoid common pitfalls, and develop next-generation implementation and analysis strategies. This highly engaging skill development resource is packed with annotated screen shots, color diagrams, and special callouts to provide clear, informative, and memorable lessons. Each chapter includes key takeaways and practical action steps and exercises for real-world data capture, reporting, and performance improvement.
Whether you're seeking a comprehensive primer or an advanced skill booster, Google Analytics Breakthrough delivers the reliable expertise you need.