OK, the book, or in my case the audiobook, is better. But you won't noticed the dropped or combined characters in the film if you have not read it. A tense murder mystery placed at a very, very tense time when Berlin was in ruin, a pack of cigarettes could get you almost anything, and the Russians and Yanks were scrambling to grab Nazi rocket scientists. There are many sub-plots, not the least being the ability of all sides to "look the other way" and set up scientists with comfortable jobs and lives when they should have been tried and hung.
Clooney is great as a lovesick reporter hoping to find the woman he knew before the war, refusing to see how much had changed.
This is not a chick flick. It is in glorious black and white, using vintage lenses to evoke the look of 1940's films (and to work well with old footage.)
Not sure how much relatively young viewers will appreciate the book or the movie, but it is really something. Watch it along with "The Monument Men!"
- Actors: George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Tobey Maguire, Beau Bridges, Tony Curran
- Directors: Steven Soderbergh
- Writers: Paul Attanasio
- Producers: Benjamin Waisbren, Ben Cosgrove, Gregory Jacobs, Frederic W. Brost
- Format: PAL, Subtitled
- Language: English
- Subtitles: English
- Region: Region 2 ( DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Studio: Whv
- Run Time: 107 minutes
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- ASIN: B000VEODN0
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
11,813 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
- #8519 in Movies (Movies & TV)