For what you get - a recognised (well marketed) brand name in quality knives which actually have decent steel and alloys/compounds - this is probably many people's safest and best bet to get a good set of first knives for this price.
Personally, I prefer the magnet knife holder over the traditional knife blocks, I feel they are more sanitary, etc, but that's personal preference. Putting the knife holder aside, this is great value for the knives you get.
- not too expensive that you will fret about handling/chips/storage
- balanced and quite sharp out of the box
- retain sharp edge for standard cutting for a long time
- no cheap plastics/rubbers
- far too light for my liking (can be a pro if you have arthritis/difficulty handling heavier knives)
- magnetic holder needs a place to go (usually needs a wall to be screwed into, many will not like this)
- if you prefer a knife block, you will have to buy one separately, global knife blocks are usually not cheap sold separately
- sort of easy to clean, sort of not - the handles have small dimples in them, which aren't too hard to clean but are certainly more prone to getting dirty compared to a smooth handle
These are still going strong after 6 months of use. Strongly suggest buying a sharpening stone as well to prolong life
GLOBAL knives are made in Japan from the finest stainless steel material. The blades utilise CROMOVA 18 stainless steel, Ice tempered and hardened to Rockwell C56- 58 which holds a razor sharp edge longer than any other steel and resists rust, stains and corrosion. Other unique features of Global knives are their smooth contours and seamless, all stainless steel construction which eliminates food and dirt traps offering the ultimate in safety and hygiene.