You don't need to own a Kindle device to enjoy Kindle books. Download one of our FREE Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on all your devices.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Digital List Price:||$6.94|
Save $1.39 (20%)
Gauguin (Mega Square) Kindle Edition
See all 2 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
|New from||Used from|
Paul Gauguin was first a sailor, then a successful stockbroker in Paris. In 1874 he began to paint at weekends as a Sunday painter. Nine years later, after a stock-market crash, he felt confident of his ability to earn a living for his family by painting and he resigned his position and took up the painter’s brush full time. Following the lead of Cézanne, Gauguin painted still-lifes from the very beginning of his artistic career. He even owned a still-life by Cézanne, which is shown in Gauguin’s painting Portrait of Marie Lagadu. The year 1891 was crucial for Gauguin. In that year he left France for Tahiti, where he stayed till 1893. This stay in Tahiti determined his future life and career, for in 1895, after a sojourn in France, he returned there for good. In Tahiti, Gauguin discovered primitive art, with its flat forms and violent colours, belonging to an untamed nature. With absolute sincerity, he transferred them onto his canvas. His paintings from then on reflected this style: a radical simplification of drawing; brilliant, pure, bright colours; an ornamental type composition; and a deliberate flatness of planes. Gauguin termed this style “synthetic symbolism”.
There are no local customer reviews yet.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: 1 reviews
the great Gauguin
5 August 2014 - Published on Amazon.com
Great book well ilustrated. There were paintings in this book that I have not seen before. Great read he lived a very adventurous life. Loved this book will read this again!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > History
- Books > Arts & Photography > Individual Artists > Monographs
- Books > Arts & Photography > Painting
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Art > Art History > Regional > European
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Art > Art History > Schools, Periods & Styles > Modern
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Art > Painting
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Individual Artists