This book is divided into 3 main parts:
1. An Infinity Before Man: about the geological development of the islands of Meganesia (including mainly Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand North and South, New Caledonia), and their subsequent climatological, botanical, and zoological evolution.
2. The Arrival of the Futures Eaters: about the native peoples of the islands of Meganesia (Australians and Maori mainly), their arrival into their traditional lands, and the impact they had shaping those lands and their biota.
3. The Last Wave: Arrival of the Europeans: about the role of Europeans in colonizing Australia and shaping its ecology in an attempt to transform that land into something more familiar and convenient for them, but also about more recent understanding of the limits of the continent to support a growing population and the need to preserve its indigenous biota.
This book would be especially enjoyed by those interested in Australian aborigines and the longterm impact of man's livelihood on his environment.
- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: Grove Pr (1 November 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0802139434
- ISBN-13: 978-0802139436
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.5 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 612 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 83,434 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)