Andrew Solomon delivers a powerful message about people who do not fall into the comfortable centre of the Bell curve. Following the individuals who are born with a difference, whether it be deafness or autism or Down's Syndrone, have much in common with each other. Their journeys to form their own identity and join a community of others like themselves is fascinating, at times heartbreaking, but always compassionate.
My major problem with the stories presented are that they are almost exclusively the stories of people who are rich, predominately white and New Yorkers. It's a very narrow examination and left me with many questions about all those outside of this tiny view.
- Paperback: 976 pages
- Publisher: VINTAGE ARROW - MASS MARKET; 1 edition (3 March 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0099460998
- ISBN-13: 978-0099460992
- Product Dimensions: 13.5 x 4.1 x 21.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 939 g
- Customer Reviews: 851 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 31,204 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)