In-depth instruction and practical techniques for building with the BeagleBone embedded Linux platform
Exploring BeagleBone is a hands-on guide to bringing gadgets, gizmos, and robots to life using the popular BeagleBone embedded Linux platform. Comprehensive content and deep detail provide more than just a BeagleBone instruction manual—you’ll also learn the underlying engineering techniques that will allow you to create your own projects. The book begins with a foundational primer on essential skills, and then gradually moves into communication, control, and advanced applications using C/C++, allowing you to learn at your own pace. In addition, the book’s companion website features instructional videos, source code, discussion forums, and more, to ensure that you have everything you need.
The BeagleBone’s small size, high performance, low cost, and extreme adaptability have made it a favorite development platform, and the Linux software base allows for complex yet flexible functionality. The BeagleBone has applications in smart buildings, robot control, environmental sensing, to name a few; and, expansion boards and peripherals dramatically increase the possibilities. Exploring BeagleBone provides a reader-friendly guide to the device, including a crash course in computer engineering. While following step by step, you can:
- Get up to speed on embedded Linux, electronics, and programming
- Master interfacing electronic circuits, buses and modules, with practical examples
- Explore the Internet-connected BeagleBone and the BeagleBone with a display
- Apply the BeagleBone to sensing applications, including video and sound
- Explore the BeagleBone’s Programmable Real-Time Controllers
Hands-on learning helps ensure that your new skills stay with you, allowing you to design with electronics, modules, or peripherals even beyond the BeagleBone. Insightful guidance and online peer support help you transition from beginner to expert as you master the techniques presented in Exploring BeagleBone, the practical handbook for the popular computing platform.
From the Back Cover
“Loaded with helpful information and coding tutorials,this exploration around the extensive capabilities of BeagleBoneBlack has me excited to connect everything I encounter to theInternet.”
— Christine Long, BeagleBoard.orgFoundation
“What I’ve learned on this topic has taken me adecade of self-study culling through books and release notes andvarious platforms. Here, you’ve demystified it all in thespan of a single (large) volume.”
— Brian DeLacey, founder of the IoTFestival
“This wonderful book is at the nexus of so many of theskills that are vital to today’s computer scientists,electrical engineers, and innovators of all stripes as they turntheir ideas into transformative creations.”
— Prof Ray Simar, Professor in the Practice ofDigital Signal Processing Architecture, Rice University,Texas
“Derek Molloy’s, Exploring BeagleBone, is THE bookto go to if you are interested in learning about embedded Linuxprogramming and how to use it to exploit the powerful capabilitiesof the BeagleBone single board computer.”
— Prof. Burford Furman, San José StateUniversity, California
GIVE LIFE TO YOUR CREATIONS WITH THE VERSATILE, LINUX-POWEREDBEAGLEBONE
Whatever applications you can dream up, the BeagleBone can helpyou build them. This hands-on guide teaches you the essentialBeagleBone skills and underlying engineering principles. It thentakes you into interfacing, communication, and control so that youcan create your own projects. Finally, you’ll explore usingthe BeagleBone for advanced applications such as buildingInternet-of-Things systems and real-time interfacing. With hands-onexamples and outstanding guidance, this book will give you thein-depth knowledge to do great things with the BeagleBone.
- Features a detailed review of the Linux, electronics, andprogramming skills required to master the BeagleBone
- Thoroughly examines interfacing the BeagleBone to almost anytype of circuit or device
- Demonstrates advanced BeagleBone applications such as networkcommunications; rich user interfaces; images, video, and audio; andreal-time interfacing using the BeagleBone’s PRU-ICSS
- Teaches transferrable essential skills to help you design withelectronics, modules, or peripherals that can be used even beyondthe BeagleBone
- Offers a strong “learn-by-doing” approach thatsupports both beginners and power users
Visit the companion website atwww.exploringbeaglebone.com for source code, instructionalvideos, online peer discussions, and more!