God Save the Mouse!
Ema Hutton's two summers in Disney's International College Program took her from a little town in England to cleaning rooms at Port Orleans and performing as Pluto in the Magic Kingdom.
Ema's first summer at Disney World pitted her against a surly band of housekeepers from hell who nearly led her to "self-term" (Disney-speak for "quit"). Her account of Disney Housekeeping is the most revealing look yet at what it's like to work for the Mouse.
Ema's second summer at Disney World put her inside a Pluto costume, where she dealt with excited children, rude guests, ridiculous questions (Pluto can't talk), and every autograph-signing implement imaginable. What does it take to be a Disney character? Ema tells all, from management's edict to "know your friend" (more Disney-speak) to a true insider's guide about how to make the most of your own character meet and greets.
Follow Ema as she:
- Faces the embarrassment and near disaster of her first interview
- Frets over the surprisingly cold and political world of housekeeping at Port Orleans
- Feels the pressure of paperwork, roomies, Traditions class, and on-the-job training
- Figures out how to be Pluto, while not being Pluto, and why Disney mandates schizophrenia among its character performers
- Finds her way around the culture shock of speaking and thinking like a Brit while working in the most American place on earth
Through it all, Ema kept a stiff upper lip, and her quirky, witty writing will put you squarely in her sensible shoes as this proper English girl finds fun, adventure, laughs, tears, and surprises in Walt Disney World.
Ema Earns Her Ears is the second volume in the popular "Earning Your Ears" series. If you've never been in the Disney College Program, this is the next best thing!