After reading and quite liking the whole Maiden Lane series, it was a no-brainer to pre-order this book. Sadly, I didn't enjoy it that much. 2.5 to 3 stars.
I had several problems with the book:
1. The cover was totally inappropriate, depicting a handsome man full face. What happened to the dramatic scar that mars our hero's visage and is key to the story? Hmmmm. The cover here is much more suitable, but the one still showing on GoodReads is just WRONG!
2. It hardly felt like it was a Maiden Lane book. Almost felt like a random standalone. Yes, they were chasing down the Lords of Chaos, but there were few other noticeable links to the rest of the series.
3. I found some sections pretty confusing. for e.g. there was a graphic (and rather repulsive) section about assisting our H when he was wounded and had a fever. (Too much revolting detail for moi....) And yet.... H and h still felt sexual need pounding through their veins (and other parts). Hmmm. Seemed to me as if that would be the LAST thing on your mind. And as for the whole bit with the smelly, sweaty, unwashed (but still soooo sexy) hairy armpit. Ewwww. Just, no. For me it was just not erotic.
4. The plot overall was a bit too dark and heavy. I guess Ms Hoyt was going for an intense emotional payoff at the end, but the journey there was just a bit too traumatic for me. Yes, sadly these things do happen. But I don't want to read about them in my lovely escapist romances. It's a tried and true trope that I have enjoyed many times - damaged H helped by the love of a good woman to move on with his life. But in this case it was just too dark for me. There was also quite a bit of violence, that I didn't enjoy reading about either.
5. I felt the ending was a bit rushed, and also left things bit unclear. I wasn't really sure what the future (if any) of the Lords Of Chaos would be.
So, overall, not my fav out of the series, and I doubt I'll reread this one. But, others have obviously liked it and connected better with the characters than I did, so all you can do is try it for yourself. But IMO there are definitely better books in this series than this one.
- Audio CD: 1 pages
- Publisher: Hachette Audio and Blackstone Audio; Unabridged AUDIO edition (17 October 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 147899682X
- ISBN-13: 978-1478996828
- Package Dimensions: 14.8 x 14.4 x 2.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 231 g
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews