You don't need to own a Kindle device to enjoy Kindle books. Download one of our FREE Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on all your devices.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc (AU)
This price was set by the publisher.
The Distance Between Us: Young Reader Edition Kindle Edition
Kindle Monthly Deals
New deals each month starting at $1.49. Learn more
I've been waiting for this book for decades.-- "Sandra Cisneros, USA Today bestselling author"
The charming story is beautifully written, and the characters are well developed. . . . West's novel is sweet and captivating.-- "School Library Journal"
In this poignant memoir about her childhood in Mexico, Reyna Grande skillfully depicts another side of the immigrant experience-the hardships and heartbreaks of the children who are left behind. Through her brutally honest firsthand account of growing up in Mexico without her parents, Grande sheds light on the often overlooked consequence of immigration-the disintegration of a family.-- "Sonia Nazario, Pulitzer Prize winner, and author of Enrique's Journey"
A brutally honest book...akin to being the Angela's Ashes of the modern Mexican immigrant experience.-- "Los Angeles Times"
Grande captivates and inspires in her memoir...Recounting her story without self-pity, she gracefully chronicles the painful results of a family shattered by repeated separations and traumas.-- "Publishers Weekly (starred review) "
The poignant yet triumphant tale Grande tells of her childhood and eventual illegal immigration puts a face on issues that stir vehement debate.-- "Booklist"
Grande consistently displays a fierce willingness to ask tough questions, accept startling answers, and candidly render emotional and physical violence.-- "Kirkus Reviews" --This text refers to the audioCD edition.
About the Author
- ASIN : B01BKR45YS
- Publisher : Aladdin; Reprint edition (6 September 2016)
- Language : English
- File size : 12602 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 336 pages
- Page numbers source ISBN : 1481463713
- Customer Reviews:
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
1. The protagonist does not do a good job at being content with whatever is good happy and available in life. It seems for her whatever was lost was always more important that whatever was present at any given moment.
2. Complaining about what all was wrong about everything is easy and so does the author utilize the same; and hence the "darkness" of a dysfunctional family has been portrayed well
3. The author dreams of a perfect life (like all other mere mortals) & it therefore makes her a person easy to relate to in spite of the fact that in the entire account we have only seen her trying to portray herself without flaws & that all flaws were with everyone else around her.
A question to the author: no one on this planet is perfect; and that includes You and Your parents and every human being. What if this entire book was read solely through the eyes of 'Papi' ? Would the book sound and read the same way??