This attempt to render Mann into English is as prosaic, pedantic, unevocative, dull, and tone-deaf as a seed catalogue.
It is as wrong-headed, imperceptive, and as false in its attempt as some of the tuneless and completely uninspired modern transliterations of the King James Bible. At least Lowe-Porter knew she was dealing with an art form and worked to include music, mystery, and rich connotation. As Conrad says, in fiction there must be something of the "magic
suggestiveness" of music. Lowe-Porter shows that she knows and understands this all-important fact.
- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Bantam Classic & Loveswept; Reissue edition (1 March 1991)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0553213334
- ISBN-13: 978-0553213331
- Product Dimensions: 10.7 x 2.2 x 17.5 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 136 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 49,106 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)