I have enjoyed Robert Conroy's alternate history novels for several decades, and was sad to learn of his death in 2014. This work, part written by him and completed by J R Dunn, his former editor, returns to the War Between The States, with a PoD just after the Battle of Gettysburg. Lee does not retreat to Virginia, but remains north, living off the land and defeating various Union commanders until Grant takes command and rapidly defeats him. Subplots look at rogue Confederate units committing atrocities against the civilian population - a slightly contrived device to set up the final battle.
As the title says, Conroy has written much better, but this isnt too bad and gave a few happy hours of bedtime reading.
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1122 KB
- Print Length: 368 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Baen Books; 1 edition (6 June 2017)
- Sold by: Amazon Australia Services, Inc.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B071F943X1
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Customer Reviews: 61 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #376,649 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)