Jobs in data science abound, but few people have the data science skills needed to fill these increasingly important roles. Data Science For Dummies is the perfect starting point for IT professionals and students who want a quick primer on all areas of the expansive data science space. With a focus on business cases, the book explores topics in big data, data science, and data engineering, and how these three areas are combined to produce tremendous value. If you want to pick-up the skills you need to begin a new career or initiate a new project, reading this book will help you understand what technologies, programming languages, and mathematical methods on which to focus.
While this book serves as a wildly fantastic guide through the broad, sometimes intimidating field of big data and data science, it is not an instruction manual for hands-on implementation. Here’s what to expect:
- Provides a background in big data and data engineering before moving on to data science and how it's applied to generate value
- Includes coverage of big data frameworks like Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, MPP platforms, and NoSQL
- Explains machine learning and many of its algorithms as well as artificial intelligence and the evolution of the Internet of Things
- Details data visualization techniques that can be used to showcase, summarize, and communicate the data insights you generate
It's a big, big data world out there—let Data Science For Dummies help you harness its power and gain a competitive edge for your organization.
From the Back Cover
- Learn how data science is applied to generate value
- Use data visualization to communicate insights
- Covers big data frameworks and applications
A guide book for your journey towards an exciting new data science career
Think you'd like to pursue a career in data science? Let this book be your guide. Data Science For Dummies is for working professionals and students interested in transforming an organization's sea of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data into actionable business insights. It gets you up-to-speed on what's happening across this broad industry, giving you a head start in turning messy data into meaningful stories that all people in an organization can use.
- Data science basics
- Big data and its infrastructure
- Learn Python®, R, SQL and GIS
- Data visualization
- Real-time analytics and the Internet of Things
- Using MapReduce, Hadoop® and other big data tools
- Real-world applications