First and foremost, its a wonderful story and the characters, though so far removed from my experience as to be almost alien, are amazing: larger than life.
The translation into English made it read very strangely in places, or maybe that was the author's style. It just seemed so melodramatic and the way the characters spoke was odd and unnatural.
The best part was the author's descriptions of the inner thoughts of Raskalnikov who was simply testing a theory because he was an intellectual. Much did not make sense to me in Crime and Punishment, but much more did. Dostoyevsky nails human nature and makes some incredibly profound statements through his characters.
I will read more Dostoyevsky.
- Paperback: 528 pages
- Publisher: Words Classics; New ed edition (28 September 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781840224306
- ISBN-13: 978-1840224306
- ASIN: 1840224304
- Product Dimensions: 12.4 x 2.8 x 19.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 358 g
- Average Customer Review: 17 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 506 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)