- Paperback: 424 pages
- Publisher: Princeton University Press; 1 edition (15 August 2005)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0691124035
- ISBN-13: 978-0691124032
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 2.5 x 21.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 522 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
Competitive Solutions: The Strategist's Toolkit Paperback – 15 Aug 2005
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
"This is a very good book that goes a long way toward filling the need for a work on the economics of competition. It has the potential to substantially improve courses in competitive strategy. The coverage is wonderful, the examples are interesting, the informal arguments are excellent, and the style is engaging."--Mark Satterthwaite, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
"The very readable style, accessibility, and richness and recentness of examples differentiate this book from some of its competitors in a way that should make it popular with students. McAfee clearly knows his subject well, understands the connections between the theoretical and empirical scholarship in the economics of strategy and the practical challenges faced by strategists, and draws on the latest academic literature and a variety of relevant examples in making his points."--Eric Zitzewitz, Stanford Business School
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
From an economists world view looking at the business literature much of what I read does not speak to me in terms that are immediately obvious. Preston's work resonates with me because he is coming from a game theory, mathematical, statistical and economic world view.
As a current executive MBA student I have found Preston's telling of the core concepts easy to digest and sensible.
I recommend this book, well done Preston.
Instead of merely dumbing down the ideas to simplistic charts, the book lucidly explains the best modern thinking from economics and how it relates to real business situations. The author, one of the leading American experts in business economics, is well-suited to the task, since he is co-edited the top journal in the discipline for a decade. Nevertheless, he never loses sight of the practical issues and the text is packed with (a seemingly endless array) of fascinating practical examples.
The writing is clear, punchy, and often funny.
If you want to get an accessible, useful view of business economics that is much deeper than what is offered to the typical MBA, this book is a must.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Economics > International > Economics
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Strategy & Competition
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Books > Business & Economics > Processes & Infrastructure > Strategic Planning
- Books > Business & Economics > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Science, Nature & Maths > Earth Sciences > Geography > Regional
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Economics
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management