“I am absolutely thrilled to have a copy of the Collins English Dictionary. If I am ever cast off on a desert island, this is the book I want to have with me.”
“I find Collins English Dictionary invaluable because it is an encyclopaedia as well as a dictionary, and it stands up to really intensive use.”
John Grant, Crossword Editor, The Times
Not suitable for all Kindle devices. Please see below for compatibility with your Kindle device. Set as your dictionary of choice for Kindle and look up words while reading ebooks.
Compatibility & Functionality
If you have any issues with this, please contact email@example.com
• Setting as Default Dictionary works on all Kindles except Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle for Android and any of the Kindle apps, including Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac
• Headword search works on all Kindles except Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD, including Kindle for Mac and Kindle for PC
• Basic Text Search works on all Kindle devices including Kindle Fire
• Kindle dictionaries are compatible with Kindle for iPad / iPhone (version 4.0+)
• Very limited functionality in Kindle mobile apps – not recommended.
Where indicated above you have the option to change your default dictionary setting to this much larger compatible dictionary which will allow you to look up definitions when reading ebooks written in English. Check that your device supports this functionality.
• all elements of the dictionary entries are displayed
• pronunciation symbols (IPA) are shown
• cross-references to other entries are hyperlinks for quick navigation
• entries contain hyperlinks to related words
• looking up inflected forms of a word (plurals, past tenses, etc.) is supported
The dictionary draws on Collins extensive language databases and contains many literary and rare words useful for crossword solvers and setters as well as Scrabble players, including words previously only found in the official Scrabble word list. Everyone will be drawn in by evolving definitions, new, rare and quirky words.