- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Pearson Education (US); 1 edition (18 May 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0321637704
- ISBN-13: 978-0321637703
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 2.5 x 24.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 481 g
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 15,012 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition Paperback – 18 May 2010
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
―Scott Duncan, Agile Coach
“ Lyssa explains brilliantly how skills from professional coaching can be applied to coaching agile software development teams. What I love about this book is how Lyssa brings practical advice to life by relating it to everyday experiences we all recognize. An essential guide for every agile manager’s bookshelf.”
―Rachel Davies, author of Agile Coaching
“ As I read this book I could actually hear Lyssa’s voice, guiding me and sparking precious ‘a-ha moments.’ This truly is the next best thing to having an experienced and wise coach sitting by your side, helping you be the best coach you can be for your team.”
―Kris Blake, agile coach
“ Lyssa Adkins presents agile coaching in a gentle style with firm underpinnings. She resolves the paradox of how coaching can help a team to self-organize, and shows how a nurturing environment can push teams to perform better than ever.”
―Bill Wake, Industrial Logic, Inc.
“ I love Lyssa’s three qualities of an agile coach―loving, compassionate, uncompromising―sweet. Every chapter offers a compelling blend of philosophy and action, framework and freedom, approach and avoidance, as any agile book should. Coaching Agile Teams is a good candidate to become dog-eared on my desktop rather than looking good on my bookshelf. The depth and quality of expertise that Lyssa sought, sampled, and sounded out along her own coaching journey have been synthesized in her own voice of experience.”
―Christopher Avery, Responsibility Process mentor, www.LeadershipGift.com
“ In my experience with agile projects, the agile coach is one of the most important roles to get right. Coaching Agile Teams by Lyssa Adkins gives the details and practical insights for what it takes to be a great agile coach.”
―Dave Hendricksen, software architect, Thomson-Reuters
“ I remember the first time I met Lyssa at a Scrum gathering in Orlando, and realized very quickly how inspirational she would become in the agile community. This book encapsulates her thoughts and ideas into a fantastic literary work that, I believe, fills a void in our community. We knew the role of a coach was needed, but for a long time we were not sure what that role actually was. We struggled as a community to explain what to do, when to do it, and what to do next. Lyssa not only collates all of the things we as coaches aspire to be, but has provided some great advice with realistic direction on how to be the best coach you can be for your team.”
―Martin Kearns, CSC + CST, Principal Consultant, Renewtek ply. Ltd.
From the Back Cover
As an agile coach, you can help project teams become outstanding at agile, creating products that make them proud and helping organizations reap the powerful benefits of teams that deliver both innovation and excellence.
More and more frequently, ScrumMasters and project managers are being asked to coach agile teams. But it’s a challenging role. It requires new skills―as well as a subtle understanding of when to step in and when to step back. Migrating from “command and control” to agile coaching requires a whole new mind-set.
In Coaching Agile Teams, Lyssa Adkins gives agile coaches the insights they need to adopt this new mind-set and to guide teams to extraordinary performance in a re-energized work environment. You’ll gain a deep view into the role of the agile coach, discover what works and what doesn’t, and learn how to adapt powerful skills from many allied disciplines, including the fields of professional coaching and mentoring.
- Understanding what it takes to be a great agile coach
- Mastering all of the agile coach’s roles: teacher, mentor, problem solver, conflict navigator, and performance coach
- Creating an environment where self-organized, high-performance teams can emerge
- Coaching teams past cooperation and into full collaboration
- Evolving your leadership style as your team grows and changes
- Staying actively engaged without dominating your team and stunting its growth
- Recognizing failure, recovery, and success modes in your coaching
- Getting the most out of your own personal agile coaching journey
Whether you’re an agile coach, leader, trainer, mentor, facilitator, ScrumMaster, project manager, product owner, or team member, this book will help you become skilled at helping others become truly great. What could possibly be more rewarding?
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Update 1/14 - I'm rescinding my original review and making this into a five star review. I should have read the entire thing before reviewing. Although the language is still a bit flowery and long for my taste, the examples, stories, how-to dialogues, and contributions from others is simply stellar. A very valuable book for learning about the essence of agile coaching. It does a great job in peeling away the layers to the onion on this tricky, important concept.
You can read it from front to back or pick any random point in the book and you will be pleased - each page has something of value.
Check out Lyssa Adkins training through the agile coaching institute also - to apply some learning here.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Economics > Communication & Psychology > Mentoring & Coaching
- Books > Business & Economics > Human Resources > Conflict Resolution & Mediation
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Project Management > Business
- Books > Business & Economics > Management & Leadership > Quality Control & Management > Agile
- Books > Computers & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Textbooks & Study Guides