I enjoyed The Song of Achilles, but delighted in Circe, a really lovely story. This was such a pleasure to read, thoughtful, with a sound knowledge of character and detailed knowledge of the myths and legends of Ancient Greece. Circe herself is a wonderful woman, growing from an insecure child desperate to belong, to be loved, in a world that mocks weakness or need. By the novel’s conclusion she finally knows herself and has come to terms with her needs. One hopes for her future.
The other wonderfully realised character is Penelope still growing in old age, looking forward to joining her dead when the time is right, rather than regretting a wasted life.
I am already missing walking barefoot across Circe’s island as the moon rides the night skies watching lovers.
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing; Export/Airside edition (10 April 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1408890070
- ISBN-13: 978-1408890073
- Product Dimensions: 23.4 x 3 x 15.5 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 440 g
- Average Customer Review: 19 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 25,532 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)