I first read this my senior year of high school in 1994, and I had my 18 year old daughter read it recently. I identified strongly with Holden back then, and I still find him to be a highly relatable character. My daughter felt the same way. It’s semi-embarrassing, seeing our innermost thoughts and feelings on paper, in black and white, for the whole world to read.
It seems most people who’ve read this book dislike Holden. Some actually feel serious contempt and loathing toward him. Those people are as equally suprised and confused by our feelings, as we are by theirs.
So...what does that say about me and my daughter? Probably best we don’t think about it too much.
- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd; 1 edition (1 November 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0241984750
- ISBN-13: 978-0241984758
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 2.2 x 20.4 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 299 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 12,964 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)