In case you hadn't noticed, ALL Raspberry Pi processor boards cost the same. Why? Because the price is fixed and controlled by the Raspberry Pi organization. I'm not complaining about this, but it does beg the question as to why you would pick one supplier over another.
The key differentiators are:
1. Power Supply - is there one and how good is it? The official power supply is designed to plug into virtually any outlet on the planet. Consequently it's huge. The one included in this kit will allow you to plug other things into a duplex or quadruple outlet (like I have in my shop).
2. Enclosure - is there one and how good is it? I like the 'official' enclosure slightly better than this one for one reason - it is a bit more modular, but this one is decent quality and may provide better ventilation than the original. Originally I thought that I couldn't install a GPIO cable and put the cover on this one, but happily discovered that there is a gap, large enough for the cable, between the top and the side of this enclosure. A RaspberryPi 'Hat' should fit ok, but I personally haven't tried that.
3. Price - as I mentioned, the Processor price is fixed, but the add-ons aren't. This kit is about the lowest price I've seen for what it includes.
4. Extras - this is where this kit really shines. It includes a short cable that you insert between the power supply and the Pi. The cable has a switch that toggles the power on and off and an LED to show you that the power is on - useful when starting up and you don't want to plug in a powered cable to your Pi. I haven't seen this in any other kit, certainly not at this price. If you've used other kits, powering off your Pi requires physically disconnecting the microUSB connector or unplugging the wall wart - either way, not as convenient as simply pressing the switch.
Updated: to fix comment about ribbon cable.
- Item Weight: 290 g
- Boxed-product Weight: 295 g
- Item Model Number: NA
- ASIN: B07BC7BMHY
- Date first available at Amazon.com.au: 9 March 2018
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
- #128 in Motherboards