- Navigate a cast of treacherous nobility and unwelcome relatives
- Help the household werewolves make it through ‘that time of the month’
- Manage a kitchen staff of stupid goblins
- Teach the castle harpies the merits of personal hygiene
- ‘Accidentally’ sleep with a virgin due to be sacrificed to the Shadow God
- Sample too much booze in the wine cellar
- Serve a feast of live balfrog tadpoles
- And much more!
Butler to the Dark Lord is interactive fiction at its funniest, written by stand-up comedian and fantasy author Sam Bowring.
Note: The ‘Look Inside’ sample does not work as intended as it only comprises 10% of the text, and gamebooks jump around all over the place.
"It’s amazing that Bowring has taken this form of story-telling and used it to tell a fantasy story to an adult audience. It works very well in e-book format because all the choices are hyperlinked to the relevant page – no endlessly flipping back and forth! … There are ribald jokes and double entendres throughout … Malacandros is also a terrifying boss (but sometimes he’s really nice!), and the atmosphere of the book is danger-filled and darkly humorous."
- Speculating on SpecFic