A story of four plants and four human motivations, Pollan draws them together with wit. I consumed this book in a short time, taking to work to read in my spare moments. I don't often get wrapped up so deeply in books, but this one grabbed me. There are source citations for a great many of his assertions, which was also fantastic. If you are interested in evolution, plants, human nature, marijuana, flowers, industrial food, organic gardening; there will be something to carry you through this story and speak to your interest. The writing is engaging and flows with ease from one subject to the next. It refers back to previous chapters and thoughts expressed, without wandering aimlessly in thought.
A great little read that will provoke thought and discussion. It will leave you wanting more.
- Paperback: 271 pages
- Publisher: Random House Inc; 1 edition (1 June 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0375760393
- ISBN-13: 978-0375760396
- Product Dimensions: 13.1 x 1.6 x 20.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 227 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 22,864 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)